Saturday, March 22, 2008

Living Large on the USS Mobile Bay

I am thinking that each day I will start off answering questions that people have. This will probably be the most interesting, rather than my continuous rambling, and will explain more about what I do from day to day.

Question 1:
In the movies they don’t always go to “General Quarters”, sometimes the go for something like “ASW Operations”… do you really call out for different situations, or is it just General Quarters? How often does that happen? Do you go to different Battle Stations for different conditions?

So the movies have it partially correct. General Quarters is called when there is a situation that requires every war fighting asset of the ship to be manned. This mans every single station that is available. Very few people are not manning a watch station during General Quarters. There are other conditions that can be called for. I have never heard of an “ASW Operations” condition setting, but there are Damage Control Condition settings and specific response teams that can be called away. These alternate settings or conditions pick specific portions of a full General Quarters and sets just those parts. One person should not have two different positions, one in GQ and one in DC conditions. This keeps any one watch station from getting missed.

Aside from the Navy stuff, yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day out. Marty and I did our usually patio relaxation time and were able to get a picture of ourselves enjoying life on a carnival cruise ship. All we needed was a few drinks in hand and some ladies to look at, but not get the courage to actually go up and talk to them.

Things are going fairly quickly time wise. I am busy with work and then I sleep and eat when I can. There are no weekends here and you really only have port calls to look forward to in terms of real time off, but it’s not too bad and I am getting into a routine. I can’t wait for Singapore! Only a few more days to go, or a month… whatever!

4 comments:

Fashion Addict said...

I'm jealous that my lounge chairs don't have the foot rest option!

Northern California weather is gorgeous too & we're looking forward to hosting family and friends for Easter Brunch. Wish you were here...

Unknown said...

damn it! stupid error erased my post now i have to remember what all i typed out. . .

oh yea! nice pic of the lounge chairs. i was trying to imagine you lounging on the deck from a comment in your first post, now i have a visual.

So, this weekend it was 80-90 degrees in SD, not too shabby. What would define a good day out on sea?

ever had dolphins swim with the ship? or some form of sea life?

do you get to stop off in HI or is it a straight shot from SD to Singapore?

Anonymous said...

We have new coordinates for the TLAM missile attack... Off the top of my head, and for no apparent Communist reason, I'm going to say: Latitude 43 degrees 09 minutes north, Longitude 131 degrees 53 minutes East. Not that there's anything of value there anymore, a few old rusting hulks of abandoned Udaloy ASW ships or Krivak II patrol boats. There's a high of 45 degrees for the next 7 days, I hope those missiles can take the cold, give the commies a little warmth. Anyone else think it's weird for athesists to say, "go with God" when they part? Dosvedanya Comrade.

Anonymous said...

What about "Weapons to Maximum?"